Donor Relations Manager, First Nations Development Institute
The Donor Relations Manager is part of the development team and responsible for implementing the donor relations strategy in conjunction with the Vice President of Communications, Grantmaking & Development and the Individual Giving Director. The Donor Relations Manager
supports the development team’s efforts to broaden First Nations’ individual donor base, providing major gift, sustainer and planned giving donor pipelines, along with supporting direct response activities generating a growing revenue stream for the organization.
The Donor Relations Manager also provides administrative support to the development team to ensure effective data management and reporting and donor stewardship efforts (acknowledgements, meeting requests, printed materials). The Donor Relations Manager contributes to developing and implementing messaging to existing and prospective donors, continually adapting a strong and compelling case for support.
The primary purpose of this position is as follows:
1) implement donor relations activities and engage with donors as part of larger development plan
2) ensure tracking of donor relations activities
3) contribute to direct response plans and activities making recommendations for improving program results
4) coordinate with staff, consultants and vendors to implement plans to broaden base of support
5) promote and manage sustainer program
6) promote and track planned gifts
7) assist with research
8)assist with the entry of individual donor giving data
9) coordinate with Communications Officer to implement e-marketing and social media campaigns as they relate to individual giving
10) assist with administrative duties as needed.
Implement and assess an overall donor relations strategy that supports the short- and long-term fundraising goals in conjunction with the Vice President of Communications, Grantmaking & Development and Director of Individual Giving.
• Establish and manage information-tracking processes regarding acknowledgement,
recognition, ongoing communications and continued cultivation of past and current
donors to enhance their relationship with First Nations and increase the likelihood of
• Manage sustainer program, including promotion, tracking, stewarding and providing
• Promote planned giving program in direct mail and in newsletters and other
organizational publications and communications.
• Respond to a variety of inquiries regarding interest in supporting the organization and
provide annual fundraising support to the organization, such as donor-driven campaigns
• Assist with individual giving appeals, in collaboration with consultants, vendors and the
development team. Strengthen giving circles that generate annual support through
• Maintain online profiles, including Charity Navigator and Guidestar.
• Enter donor gift data.
• Assist with proposals and reports for major donors and other writing needs.
• Maintain physical and electronic donor communication materials and inventory of
general development team supplies.
• Manage strategy and appropriate implementation of external campaigns such as Giving
Tuesday and Colorado Gives Day.
• Manage strategy and appropriate use of social media for individual giving appeals.
• Complete accurate contact reports for team for Raiser’s Edge when interactions occur.
• Coordinate with artists and graphic designers to develop art for holiday messages, give
days, and other electronic messaging.
• Answer general development phone and email inquiries.
• Be available and willing to perform other tasks as assigned by direct supervisor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities. First Nation is a collaborative organization that relies on teamwork.
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills
• Exceptional project management, organizational and time management skills, with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, seeing projects to completion on deadline and with quality
• Creativity as well as analytical ability to maximize program outcomes and track for strategic and process improvements
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as effectively as part of a team, instilling confidence and trust among fellow staff and external constituents
• Strong writing skills, including the ability to proofread and edit content
• High ethical standards, discretion, and confidentiality in working with donor information
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite required
• A passion for the organization’s mission
• Ability to work well within a diverse team and across departments
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge fundraising software
Submit a cover letter, resume and 3 references to HumanResources@firstnations.org. Please note Donor Relations Manager in title of the email