2D Visual Art Instructor, Idyllwild Arts Foundation (Idyllwild, CA)
Idyllwild Arts Foundation is seeking an enthusiastic, encouraging, and lively instructor to teach high school students in traditional painting and drawing techniques and conceptual advancement (beginning to advanced levels). As full time faculty and member of the Visual Arts department, this position will be responsible for the Drawing and Painting studios. Responsibilities include instructing students through the techniques of painting and drawing and providing knowledge and skills for students to build upon.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Teach a minimum of 18 hours a week.
- Teach all levels of 2D art, primarily painting and drawing.
- Attend all meetings mandated by the Visual Arts Chair.
- Attend gallery openings and Senior Show critiques.
- Work with colleagues to further develop and advance the 2D art curriculum.
- Given the nature of boarding schools, this position requires the ability to work nights and weekends.
- Minimum three years of teaching experience, preferably at the university or high school level.
- Strong background and knowledge of oil and acrylic painting and a range of traditional 2D mediums such as watercolor, charcoal, and graphite. Ability to teach frame building and canvas stretching.
- Willingness to work in shared/collaborative workspaces.
- Familiarity with studio safety protocol.
Experience living in a boarding community or experience with leading and working with youths.
Experience with international students or international communities.
Required: BA or BFA, preferably in Fine or Studio Art.
MFA preferred but not required.
- Ability and desire to work within the Idyllwild community, Riverside County, or commute a reasonable distance that does not impede on-time arrival during winter months.
- Obtain and maintain a valid California Driver License, pass a criminal history background check as required by California Education Code Section 44237, and pass a TB questionnaire/test.
We are searching for a teaching artist who:
- Respects the guidelines and goals of the Visual Art Department.
- Works effectively with teams while simultaneously working independently to run and maintain a studio and generate innovative curriculum.
- Has the ability to diplomatically solve problems and work with different constituencies.
- Is willing to participate and lead social/cultural events and be an enthusiastic supporter of our students and school events and functions.
- Is sensitive to cultural, gender, and economic diversity.
- Acts as a model of integrity.
- Understands professional boundaries between students and teachers.
- Respects confidentiality.
- Exercises patience and good listening skills.
- Flexible and has the ability to work under pressure.
- Keeps a positive attitude and outlook.
Interested candidates can access the job listing and apply online here:
Or, candidates may send a CV/Resume (PDF or Word doc format, only), samples of artwork, and a letter of interest addressing skills, abilities and experiences relevant to this opening to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: 52500 Temecula Rd | PO Box 38, Idyllwild, CA, 92549
Employee Type: Full Time – Exempt
Job Category: Faculty, Visual Artist
Manage Others: No
Name: Human Resources