Assistant Manger, Development and Communications, Foundation for Contemporary Arts (New York, NY)
FCA seeks a full-time Assistant Manager, Development and Communications. Reporting to the Deputy Director, this position assists with all aspects of FCA’s external relations and fund-raising including event and gala planning and execution; grant research, writing, and reporting; creating and distributing e-newsletters and press releases; membership group management and renewals; fundraising campaigns; contribution tracking, processing and acknowledgement letters; managing website and social media presence; and other duties as assigned.
About the Foundation for Contemporary Arts:
Founded by artists Jasper Johns and John Cage in 1963, the Foundation for Contemporary Arts (FCA) mission is to encourage, sponsor, and promote contemporary visual and performance arts. Through a nomination process, individual artists and collective groups working in dance, music/sound, performance art/theater, poetry, and the visual arts are awarded unrestricted grants for projects of their own choosing. A fund is also maintained to help artists with unexpected emergencies. Since FCA’s inception, over 5,000 grants to artists and arts organizations—totaling over $20 million—have provided opportunities for creative exploration and development. FCA is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charity and raises funds through the sale of artwork donated by visual artists for periodic benefit exhibitions and through contributions from individuals and foundations.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
The position is responsible for interfacing with donors and artists, drafting written and electronic correspondence, conducting research, maintaining grants timetables, database management, website management and maintenance, and other key administrative duties. FCA has a small staff; the Manager is expected to perform a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced, high-standards environment. A willingness and ability to work at weekday evening donor events 1-2x/month and the occasional Saturday event is required. The position manages an intern and has a dotted line overseeing the Program Assistant on social media content.
- A minimum of three years prior full-time development or marketing experience, preferably in the non-profit arts field
- Interest or background in contemporary visual and/or performance arts
- Must be a strong writer and editor/proof-reader, with experience writing for web/social media
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be a highly-organized, pro-active self-starter with superior attention to detail
- Comfort working with budgets and numbers is critical; prior Excel knowledge is a plus
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Mac platform and Microsoft Office. Working knowledge of fund-raising databases or FileMaker Pro experience is a plus. Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and website CMS tools is a plus.
FCA seeks a candidate who shares our commitment to our values of access, diversity, equity, and inclusion and brings a perspective that will contribute to the achievement of our mission.
Annual Salary – $52,000-$58,000
Please email cover letter, resume, two relevant writing samples, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Assistant Manager, Development and Communications Manager Search.”
Letters may be addressed to:
Kathleen Flynn, Deputy Director
Foundation for Contemporary Arts
820 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10014
Due to FCA’s small staff, applications will not be acknowledged. No phone calls, please.
Website – www.contemporary-arts.org