Associate Director of Development, American Academy in Rome (New York, NY)
The Associate Director of Development is responsible for the strategic oversight of the Academy’s comprehensive individual giving efforts in New York and Rome.
In this role, the Associate Director works with the Development team to strategize and implement cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors; builds and strengthens relationships with Academy Trustees, Patrons and Friends, McKim Society Members (planned giving circle), alumni, and other donors; and helps to ensure that the Development department is supporting and furthering these and other department goals. The Associated Director will manage a portfolio of members, patrons and prospects with a capacity to give annual contributions at all levels and Patron level gifts of $10,000+. In addition, the Associate Director will be responsible for overseeing that proper processes are implemented and followed for prospect research, database management, and reporting.
The Associate Director of Development reports to the Vice President for Development. He/She will directly supervise the Individual Giving Manager and the External Affairs Officer in Rome (PT Development), and provide strategic direction to the Development Coordinator and Senior Development Officer in Rome as dotted-line reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function at a high level. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in the arts or humanities; Master’s degree preferred
- Seven+ years of Development experience, preferably working directly with high level donors, prospects and board members
- Demonstrated writing ability for the creation of all donor correspondence including acknowledgements, appeals, high level proposals, presentations, and other collateral materials
- Planned giving, corporate partnerships, and Campaign experience highly desirable
- Excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information
- Strong interpersonal skills, professionalism, and poise in working with a wide range of constituents including management and support staff, board members, donors, and vendors
- Demonstrated ability to balance working independently with working positively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Proven strength in effectively prioritizing and managing time, taking initiative, juggling multiple duties and tasks, and meeting deadlines
- Experience preparing and managing budgets, including proactively tracking revenues and expenses
- Demonstrated organizational skills, accuracy, and meticulous attention to detail
- Strong proficiency in donor database software, preferably Raiser’s Edge
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, as well as Google applications including Gmail and Google Drive.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends and travel
Applications should be submitted at: https://aarome.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=29. Application deadline is July 31, 2021.
The American Academy in Rome is an equal opportunity employer.