Community School Director, Young Audiences New York (New York, NY)
Young Audiences New York (YANY) is looking for an exceptional, full-time Community School Director who will lead the integration of holistic, arts-centered programming at P.S. 205X and serve as a leader in the school to provide enrichment opportunities to help children and their families thrive.
About Young Audiences New York
YANY’s mission is to use art, in all of its forms, as a catalyst for exploring creativity and advancing equity among youth, families, and communities in New York City. For 70 years, YANY has provided arts education to children and youth from under-resourced schools and neighborhoods so they can experience and create art. Our arts residencies help children explore the full scope of arts disciplines, from playing the ukulele to learning classical Indian dance, from making pottery to creating collage, from exploring film to acting through improv, from designing fashion to illustrating comic books.
YANY is the lead community-based organization for a multi-year 21st Century Learning program at community school P.S. 205X. The CSD will lead the integration and implementation of expanded learning and enrichment activities at P.S. 205X.
They will support the development and implementation of the school’s Community School Plan. They will be a part of P.S. 205X’s School Leadership Team, serving as an advisor to the principal, leading the coordination of several partners, and tracking progress and results.
The CSD will report directly to YANY’s Interim President & CEO and will manage a staff team including a full-time Program Coordinator, four part-time group leaders, four part-time Program Aides, and 14 Teaching Artists. The CSD will cultivate close professional relationships with P.S. 205X staff, school leadership, and our funding partners at the DOE Office of Community Schools.
- Develop strong relationships with parents, students, and teachers, and funders.
- Work with Principal, SLT, and Parent Coordinator to implement a transformative model of family engagement that creates strong school-to-home partnerships for learning.
- Plan YANY arts residencies for the school year and ensure high-quality program delivery.
- Coordinate and integrate other enrichment activities for students and families.
- Collect quantitative and qualitative data collection and research, and prepare relevant data to share with stakeholder meetings and for reporting (on student attendance, social-emotional learning, and other outcomes).
- Organize and manage assets and needs assessments and supports of students and families.
- Coordinate special events that promote family engagement—especially by leveraging YANY’s arts programming.
- Serve as a point person for coordinating health screenings and services for children.
- Manage annual program budget of $370K+.
- Support Program Coordinator and other program staff in their goals and development.
- Meet deliverables of the 21st Century Learning grant.
- Additional responsibilities as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Experience working within a NYC Department of Education (DOE) school (especially in a community school) highly preferred
- Ability to work effectively with and mobilize school-aged youth, educators, families, and partner organizations from a wide range of cultural and economic backgrounds
- Experience managing staff
- Commitment to racial and social justice
- Strong communications and organizational skills
- Bi-lingual Spanish preferred
- A sense of humor and enthusiasm required
- Must pass DOE fingerprinting and background clearances
- Should be willing to work the occasional weeknight for school events
We look forward to hearing from you! Please send a cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with first-round interviews starting in early November. The last date we will accept applications is 11/20/20.
Ideally, the new Community School Director will join our team in December or early January. (Note: YANY offers Christmas Eve through New Year’s Day off as paid leave for full-time staff).
Applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences are encouraged to apply.
YANY provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law