Job Requirements and Responsibilities
Art21 is a celebrated global leader in presenting thought-provoking and sophisticated content about contemporary art, and the go-to place to learn first-hand from the artists of our time. By providing unparalleled access to the artist’s voice, Art21 uses the power of digital media to inspire a more creative world through works and words of contemporary artists. Position description We are looking for a highly organized and dedicated Development and Administrative Assistant (DAA) with 1-2 years of non-profit experience.
The DAA will play a vital role managing the organization’s administrative needs, and will assist the Executive Director and Development team’s fundraising efforts. The DAA will manage grant reporting schedules, assist with funding proposals and event execution, handle day-to-day office tasks, organize mass mailings, and maintain office records.
This position is ideal for someone who likes to maintain a database system, increase efficacy, problem-solve, and has a “can do” approach. It will involve robust writing and research skills, attention to detail, and professionalism for communicating within the organization and outside stakeholders.
The DAA should be courteous, analytical, proactive, and organized. An obsessive attention to detail is key for this role. This position is a tremendous growth opportunity for someone who is eager to learn the inner workings of a dynamic non-profit organization.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities -Process the organization’s financial income, including donations and earned income: enter data into the database (eTapestry), send acknowledgments, compile a bi-weekly income report for the accountant
- Manage the database: Create new accounts, update contact information, enter monetary support into the database or alter existing transactions, add back-up documents, communications and notes to journals
- Oversee the Art21 online store: With the help of the Development intern, process orders on a weekly basis, including shipping, entering transactions into the database, updating the inventory
- Work with the Associate Director of Major Gifts and Special Events on the execution of special events and membership programs, including communications, invitations and RSVPs, staffing and vendor relations, in- kind donations, and venue/Zoom logistics
- Maintain Development calendar, keeping strict track of grant proposal and reporting deadlines
- Support the Development team with individual asks, grant applications and reports, and sponsorship proposals
- Research individuals, foundations, corporations and identify new prospects or earned revenue streams
- Provide support with annual mailings, including appeal campaigns, annual reports, season announcements, among others.
- Assist the Executive Director with ongoing tasks including but not limited to processing receipts, maintaining the ED’s calendar and appointments, travel plans, plus scheduling board meetings and compiling board documents
- Provide administrative support for the annual audit and internal tasks, such as taking staff meeting minutes and collecting activity reports
- Office management: Process and submit incoming bills, set up workspaces and electronic devices, manage inventory of office supplies, staff metrocards, petty cash, press passes, and more.
A Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of experience in a non-profit, fundraising, or equivalent role. The ideal person should be highly organized and detail-oriented, and has the ability to consistently achieve results with excellence. The ideal candidate should possess the following strengths:
- Strong administrative and organizational abilities with a proven track record of time and project management
- Skills, handling multiple deadlines at once
- Ability to work in a team setting and independently
- Experience with non-profit database software (eTapestry preferred)
- Solid ability working with Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and Google hangouts
- Superb verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong drive to learn and excel
- Experience with Google Drive (Docs, Sheets, and Slides) or equivalent word processing software
- Critical thinking skills that can be applied to effectively problem-solve and anticipate the next steps and potential barriers
This is a full-time position with an attractive benefits package that includes Medical and Dental insurance, TransitChek Program, summer Fridays, and most importantly an excellent work life balance. Salary commensurate with experience. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States
Art21 is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color; LGBTQIA+ individuals; people with disabilities; and all others, regardless of immigration history.
Please email resume and cover letter to: jobs [at] art21.org, with the subject line “Development and Administrative Assistant.”
All resumes and cover letters should be submitted as PDFs, saved using the following filing naming template: “Last Name, First Name_Resume or Cover Letter”.
**Special note: Due to the pandemic, Art21 is currently working remotely and the DAA should be ready to maintain schedules, communications, and all aspects of the position from their own home for the time being. Necessary technology will be provided by Art21. All operations will return to Art21’s offices in New York City when it is safe to do so.