- This event has passed.
Virtual | Luise Kaish and Women Artists in America, with Gail Levin
June 24 @ 12:00 pm
12pm ET | 11am CT | 9am PT
Please join us for a discussion with Gail Levin, Distinguished Professor of Art History, American Studies, and Women’s Studies at the City University of New York. Levin is Judy Chicago’s and Lee Krasner’s biographer, and an acknowledged authority on Edward Hopper, having written his catalogue raisonné, his biography, and many other publications. She is the editor and author of Theresa Bernstein: A Century in Art; a co-editor of Ethics and the Visual Arts; as well as contributor to the recently published monograph Luise Kaish: An American Art Legacy. Levin will speak about the work of pioneering artist Luise Kaish, in the context of the history of women artists in America.
Luise Clayborn Kaish (1925–2013) was a pioneer. A key figure in the New York art scene of the late 20th century, her multidisciplinary practice and process-oriented work spanned a range of mediums, materials, techniques, and themes. The strength and breadth of her work—monumental sculptures in bronze, oil paintings, watercolours, lithographs, collage—and the prestigious awards and fellowships she received set her apart as an early female leader in the visual arts. Dedicated to absorbing world cultures through travel and research, Kaish studied a broad range of subjects from architecture, design, and engineering to spiritualism, metaphysics, and the cosmos. Through her wide-ranging practice, she explored the spaces and connections between material, natural, and spiritual worlds. The publication Luise Kaish: An American Art Legacy celebrates her immense talent, highly individual point of view, far- reaching influence, pursuit of the sublime, and passion for life.
- Non-Members – $10
- ArtTable Members – $5
- ArtTable Circle Members – Free
- Members may bring an additional guest for $5
How to take part:
- Click here to Register for this program.
- Following registration you will receive call-in information in the form of a ZOOM link.
- Before joining a Zoom meeting on a computer or mobile device, you can download the Zoom app from the Download Center and select the “Zoom Client for Meetings” option. Alternatively, you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link.
- For further instruction on how to use Zoom, see here.
Not a member? Join today!
Can’t make the program at this time? Register anyway to receive a recording after!
Accessibility: Please note that this program will offer live closed captioning. If you require additional accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program is generously supported by the Kaish Family Art Project.
- Luise Kaish at work on the Ark of Revelation, MacDougal Street Studio, New York, circa, 1962.