- This event has passed.
Virtual | Curatorial Perspective: ‘Plural Possibilities & the Female Body’ at the Henry Art Gallery
May 5 @ 6:00 pm
6pm ET | 5pm CT | 3pm PT
ArtTable’s Curatorial Perspective program series invites curators to present and discuss timely exhibitions and initiatives. Join Curator Nina Bozicnik and Associate Curator of Collections Dr. Ann Poulson to discuss Plural Possibilities & the Female Body, currently on display at the Henry Art Gallery, University of Washington, Seattle. Shamim M. Momin, Director of Curatorial Affairs at the Henry and ArtTable’s 2010 New Leadership Awardee, will introduce the discussion. Across painting, photography, and sculpture and a range of artistic strategies from abstraction to documentary, the exhibition explores the gendered construction and deconstruction of the female body and its representation, and creates a counterpoint to persistent myths and reductive ideas about femininity and gender norms. Artists include: Hannah Wilke, Kiki Smith, Chakaia Booker, Patty Chang, Zanele Muholi, Wangechi Mutu, Toyin Ojih Odutola, Catherine Opie, Mickalene Thomas, Lisa Yuskavage, and more.
- Non-Members – $10
- ArtTable Members – $5
- ArtTable Circle Members – Free
- Members may bring an additional guest for $5
How to take part:
- Click here to Register for this program.
- Following registration you will receive call-in information in the form of a ZOOM link.
- Before joining a Zoom meeting on a computer or mobile device, you can download the Zoom app from the Download Center and select the “Zoom Client for Meetings” option. Alternatively, you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link.
- For further instruction on how to use Zoom, see here.
Not a member? Join today!
Can’t make the program at this time? Register anyway to receive a recording after!
Accessibility: Please note that this program will offer live closed captioning. If you require additional accommodations, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Speakers
Nina Bozicnik is Curator at the Henry Art Gallery, where she has organized exhibitions including most recently Bambitchell: Bugs & Beasts Before the Law (2021), Carrie Yamaoka: recto/verso (2019), & Between Bodies (2018-19). She has also organized presentations & projects for the museum with artists including Demian DinéYazhi´ (2018), Chris E. Vargas & the Museum of Transgender Hirstory and Art (2016-17), & Michelle Handelman (2015), among others. Prior to the Henry, Bozicnik held curatorial positions at the Currier Museum of Art, Manchester, New Hampshire; deCordova Sculpture Park & Museum, Lincoln, Massachusetts; and the Tufts University Art Gallery, Medford, Massachusetts.
Dr. Ann Poulson is the Associate Curator of Collections at the Henry Art Gallery. Before joining the Henry, she worked with international organizations in the arts, heritage, and design, including the National Portrait Gallery, London; the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum; and Sotheby’s. She received her PhD in Modern British History from King’s College London; has an MA in the same from the University of Durham, UK; an MA in Fashion History and Museum Practice from the Fashion Institute of Technology, NY; and a BA in Art History from Brigham Young University, UT.
Thank you to Lori Shepard, ArtTable New York Programming Committee member, for organizing this program.
- Installation view of Plural Possibilities & the Female Body, 2021, the Henry Art Gallery, University of Washington, Seattle; Photo: Jueqian Fang
- Nina Bozicnik, Photo: Jonathan Vanderweit.
- Dr. Ann Poulson, courtesy of the Henry Art Gallery