Executive Director, Radiant Hall (Pittsburgh, PA)
Radiant Hall is approaching an exciting new chapter as our founder steps aside after 10 years. The full-time Executive Director is Radiant Hall’s key management leader. The position reports to a 14-member board of directors. They work in close partnership with a managing director who is focused on operations and a team of five part-timers that manage studios and member services across Radiant Hall’s three locations.
The incoming Executive Director will be tasked with engaging new audiences, raising visibility, and expanding our base of support. They will understand the unique value we bring to the community, and bring new vision to realizing our full potential. The incoming Executive Director will be an effective spokesperson for Radiant Hall, conveying enthusiasm for working artists and the preservation of spaces for their creative practice.
The next leader inherits an organization with a stable immediate financial position. To secure this foundation long-term, they will be an agile and eager fundraiser with an eye toward growing Radiant Hall’s base of donors, community partners, and arts supporters.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
Like all nonprofit leaders, the next Executive Director should bring a balanced approach as a visionary and operational executive. They should have the capacity for organized, focused work, and an ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, while maintaining an openness to changing situations and opportunities. Specific areas of responsibility include:
• Set strategic direction for Radiant Hall’s mission, vision, and goals in collaboration with the board of directors, staff, and stakeholders.
• Establish a staffing structure that scales to meet the organization’s development. Foster a culture of accountability, effective internal communication, professionalism, and creativity.
• Collaborate with the board of directors to achieve good governance and build fundraising capacity. Support recruitment efforts to replenish the board’s membership over time.
• Serve as chief fundraiser, setting strategy with annual and long-term plans that cultivate and maintain relationships with a broad range of supporters, including individuals, institutional funders, and corporate sponsors.
• Develop and implement fundraising systems (CRM, stewardship models, etc.) to manage and track donor data and trends.
• Assess feasibility of a capital campaign to support the acquisition and redevelopment of purpose-built artist studio space.
Communication and Public Relations
• Serve as chief spokesperson, representing Radiant Hall to a broad constituency of local and regional governmental and elected officials, staff, and commissions; funders; community groups; individual donors; and the media.
• Identify opportunities, strategies, and partnerships that enhance Radiant Hall’s artist-centric programs and community engagement.
• Build and maintain a broad network among artists and creative professionals in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area, and beyond.
• Direct a messaging and marketing plan that integrates fundraising and programmatic goals.
Finance, Operations, and Facilities
• Manage finances in collaboration with the board’s finance committee: budget and track expenses, develop clear financial reporting, project accurate cash flow, and oversee a contracted bookkeeper.
• Review and approve service contracts; review and negotiate lease agreements with building owners, and subleases with artists.
• Coordinate necessary maintenance, modification, and replication of studio facilities.
Necessary Knowledge & Skills
Experience, Skills and Qualities
The position of Executive Director will be a challenging and rewarding opportunity that requires a diverse set of skills and experiences to achieve success. The board is seeking highly qualified candidates that can lead the organization with vision, skill, and creativity. While we understand that no single candidate can possess every qualification listed below, the following are priority areas for Radiant Hall’s Board of Directors.
• Passion for Radiant Hall’s mission and vision, and commitment to our values as an artist-centered, equitable, inclusive, service-driven, and sustainable organization.
• Educational and/or professional experience in settings connected to contemporary visual arts and/or community development is preferred but not required.
• 7+ years of progressive leadership in nonprofit, public sector, or social enterprise settings, including a history of effectively managing a small team.
• Skilled fundraiser able to secure long-term relationships with foundations and individuals. Work experience with Pittsburgh funding community is considered a plus.
• Successful record of setting vision for, managing, and implementing strategies that scale programs, initiatives, or organizations to a new phase of growth.
• Polished and persuasive written and verbal communication skills.
• Comfort engaging a wide variety of stakeholders in many different settings.
• Leadership experiences at the intersection of social and racial justice and the arts.
• Demonstrated experience working effectively with a board of directors, including engaging them in fundraising opportunities, participating in board recruitment, and orienting them to Radiant Hall’s unique culture, programs, and communities.
• Experienced manager with a gift for fostering a culture of accountability, high performance, and effective internal communication among staff, volunteers, and the board of directors.
• Knowledge of business practices, including a working understanding of contract and lease negotiations, IT and finance systems, budgeting, marketing, and HR.
• Knowledge of and networks in Pittsburgh and the region is a plus.
The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, bend, stretch and kneel for long periods of time; frequently required to talk, hear and use repetitive hand motions; should possess the ability to push, pull and lift up to 40 pounds unassisted.
Contact Name: Claire Huschle
Contact Email: RadiantHall@good-insight.org
Website Link: https://goodinsight.catsone.com/careers/87859-General/jobs/14291378-Executive-Director/
Application Deadline: 06/21/2021
Salary (Exact Amount or Range:) $70,000