Media Relations Manager, The Phillips Collection (Washington, D.C.)
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
The Media Relations Manager will maintain and improve upon the museum’s media relations efforts, under the supervision of the Director of Marketing and Communications, through devising and implementing comprehensive media strategies for exhibitions, events, partnerships, and the institution.
As the Phillips celebrates its centennial in 2021, these promotions and initiatives will be designed demonstrate the museum as a forward-thinking institution that is committed to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion (DEAI) by maximizing visibility through varied outlets. The Media Relations Manager will be a critical part of the Marketing and Communications team, assisting the department as needed with social media, the website, and administrative duties.
- Create and implement media relations outreach and follow-up strategies for museum projects and news.
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with members of local, national and international media outlets, with an eye towards diversifying both our media and audiences (type, language, etc)
- Keep apprised of museum activities, as well as topics and trends in local, national, and international media (especially art, DEAI, lifestyle, travel, hospitality, wellness) to develop relevant story ideas.
- Write, produce, and distribute all press releases, image galleries, calendars, and other materials for media.
- Coordinate institutional review and distribution of media materials.
- Fulfill media requests for images, interviews, and information.
- Secure image rights for images used for press, website, social media, and additional museum materials
- Supervise onsite and offsite film, radio, and photography crews.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the museum to identify and produce innovative, newsworthy programs and events, with an eye towards diversifying our audience.
- Work closely with colleagues in the Marketing and Communications department to shape promotions and digital projects with media hook.
- Collaborate with Development to leverage media for patron and sponsor cultivation.
- Cultivate ongoing relationships with media, photographers, public relations professionals, and other public-facing community members, and engage them in the activities of the Phillips.
- Attend arts- and media-related events, representing the Phillips as brand ambassador.
- Draft briefing materials for all museum personnel conducting interviews with press, and serve as note taker during interviews when possible
- Draft written responses and statements for press inquiries and draft remarks and Op-Eds for museum leadership and staff
- Draft and send weekly internal newsletter to all staff to keep apprised of recent Phillips and museum-related news coverage
- Manage external public relations agency, keeping them apprised of all museum announcements and upcoming exhibitions to, develop outreach strategy and pitching calendar.
- Track media output, maintain media clip files, and distribute clips to senior staff upon request.
- Maintain press section of museum website.
- Maintain media contact database and track engagement with the Phillips.
- Maintain long-range planning calendar, including long and short-lead deadlines, special sections, etc.
- Add public programs to the website, and assist Marketing and Communications team with maintenance of website content
- Respond to email and other inquiries from the public or route them appropriately.
- Manage departmental intern, including recruiting and hiring process
- Assist Marketing and Communications team with developing content for social media, blog, website, e-news, and more. Serve as back up for social media portfolio
- Run daily/weekly department meetings and manage meeting agendas
- Assist with departmental invoice processing and budget
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.A. in journalism, public relations, or related field and 2-3 years relevant experience
- Art history and background in the arts a plus
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills, with impeccable accuracy
- Superlative organizational ability and attention to detail
- Ability to track and meet multiple deadlines
- Positive attitude and sense of humor
- Outstanding computer skills, including database management and familiarity with all aspects of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to establish and cultivate positive working relationships with media
- Experience with Cision and Drupal a plus
- Foreign language skills a plus, but not required
Salary for this position is $50, 000. For more information and to apply please visit https://www.phillipscollection.org/employment. Deadline to submit is 12/31/20