Operations and Grants Manager (OGM), Fathomers (Los Angeles, CA)
Fathomers seeks a dedicated, experienced Operations and Grants Manager to support the long-term financial and operational health of the organization. This is an opportunity to play a key role in advancing Fathomers’ mission through organization-wide oversight, detail-driven workflows, and administrative excellence. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized and committed team member and will have a significant impact on the internal operations and fundraising success of a multi-disciplinary organization in the field of contemporary art.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
In coordination with Directors:
- Develop, implement and oversee effective operating strategy, policy, guidelines and procedure
- Liaise with Fathomers’ legal counsel to secure necessary contracts and agreements
- Oversee Fathomers’ insurance coverage
- Identify and implement sound human-resource practices
- Ensure operational compliance for the organization
- Maintain organizational records and prepare financial reports
- Enable the team to complete projects on time and on budget
- Limit exposure with timely invoicing and payments
- Act as primary liaison for accountants/bookkeepers
- Record all expenses, donations, transactions and other financial data
- Review all accounts for accuracy
- Make payments, deposits and record data
- Organize expenses and allocate costs
- Prepare payroll for timely processing
- Research and manage project-specific insurance policies
Grant Research and Application Management
- Research and identify funding opportunities among foundations, government agencies and corporations
- Maintain and implement application calendar
- Work collaboratively with staff to develop proposal ideas and draft letters of inquiry
- Oversee applications from preparation to submission
- Prepare budgets, monitor expenditures and produce necessary financial reports
- Oversee award acceptance, compliance and reporting
- Attend staff meetings, other administrative meetings and occasional programs and events
- Assist in schedule management and travel planning across departments
- Superior organization skills and ability to follow precise instructions
- Eagerness to work in a team environment
- Comfortable working independently
- Ability to organize, prioritize and meet critical deadlines
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, ethical decision-making and reliable discretion
- Technological savvy, with Quickbooks Online and G-Suite proficiency, and willingness to learn new applications
- 5+ years experience in a relevant operations, accounting and/or grant management role
This is a full-time position that requires occasional evening or weekend hours. The salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package with employer-paid health insurance and paid time off for vacation, personal days and holidays. Anticipated start date is September 2021.
In 2021, Fathomers transitioned to a teleworking model mixed with in-person quarterly collaborative working retreats, site-specific program activities and frequent meetings held in and around Los Angeles. Applicants should reside in the Southern California region.
Fathomers is a creative research institute in Los Angeles dedicated to producing sites and encounters that challenge us to live and act differently in the world. We cultivate the ideas of diehard dreamers, commission projects that seem far-fetched, and enlist expansive thinkers across disciplines to redefine the limits of scale, scope and support for artist-led projects. We do this because we value discoveries made absent predetermined outcomes, and we believe in the power of the realized dream as a test site and model for visionary change.
Fathomers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status, status as a whistleblower, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
The physical demands of this position are light with the expectation that the staff person can exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Light work usually requires walking or standing to a significant degree. Physical demands are in excess of those of sedentary work. The position requires frequent computer use at a workstation. Fathomers will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. This job description and its physical requirements will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Fathomers strongly encourages candidates from backgrounds generally underrepresented in arts employment to apply, as well as applicants with demonstrated interest in integrated art/science projects.
Email a single PDF attachment that includes a letter of interest and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should be OGM/[your first and last name].
Application screening and initial phone interviews will be on a rolling basis. “In-person” video interviews will follow. Due to the volume of applicants, candidates will be contacted only in the event that we wish to further discuss your qualifications.