Regenia A. Perry Assistant Curator of Global Contemporary Art, Virginia Museum of Fine Art (Richmond, VA)
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts seeks a creative, dynamic, team-oriented professional for the Regenia A. Perry Assistant Curator of Global Contemporary Art.
This newly created position will support the activities of the Department of Modern and Contemporary art, including acquisitions, exhibition development, gallery rotations, object labels, object files, research and archives. As the Museum has entered a phase of major expansion, this candidate will also help in the planning for the forthcoming Contemporary Art wing.
This is a restricted position endowed by the Jessie Ball duPont fund.
The anticipated hire date for this position is September 2021.
This is a salaried faculty exempt position that offers Commonwealth of Virginia employee benefits such as 12 paid holidays, health benefits and more. VMFA staff also enjoy museum benefits like free admission to special exhibitions, previews of special exhibitions, employee pricing for select museum programs and classes, and discounts at Amuse Restaurant, Best Café, and VMFA Shop.
About the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Virginia, is one of the largest comprehensive art museums in the United States. VMFA, which opened in 1936, is a state agency and privately endowed educational institution. Its purpose is to collect, preserve, exhibit and interpret art, and to encourage the study of the arts. Through the Office of Statewide Partnerships program, the museum offers curated exhibitions, arts-related audiovisual programs, symposia, lectures, conferences and workshops by visual and performing artists. In addition to presenting a wide array of special exhibitions, the museum provides visitors with the opportunity to experience a global collection of art that spans more than 6,000 years. VMFA’s permanent holdings encompass nearly 40,000 artworks, including the largest public collection of Fabergé outside of Russia, the finest collection of Art Nouveau outside of Paris, and one of the nation’s finest collections of American art. VMFA is also home to important collections of Chinese art, English silver, and French Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, British sporting and modern and contemporary art, as well as renowned South Asian, Himalayan and African art. In May 2010, VMFA opened its doors to the public after a transformative expansion, the largest in its history.
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is the only art museum in the United States open 365 days a year with free general admission.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintaining physical and digital artist and object files; establishing provenance for works in the collection; working closely with artists and/or artist estates to complete artists’ questionnaires; and assisting in archival projects.
- Under the supervision of the Lewis Family Curator, develops rotations and installations of works from the permanent collection, as well as special exhibitions and publications.
- Collaborates with the Exhibitions Department on budgets, contracts, schedules, and project and vendor management for all exhibitions organized and/or hosted by the Modern and Contemporary Department.
- Researches and publishes related material on artists and art objects for museum website; develops exhibition catalogues and carries out new research and scholarship on contemporary global art.
- Assists the Lewis Family Curator in making acquisitions of the highest quality through research, writing, and coordination with other departments at the museum, such as Conservation and Registration.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise concerning works in all media (paintings, sculpture, new media, and works on paper) regarding quality, authenticity, and imprint upon the discourse of modern and contemporary art from around the world.
- Experience in museum work with a track record in acquisitions, exhibitions, scholarly publications and research.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, including public speaking.
- Works well with donors and supporters of the museum.
- Ability to multitask, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, team-based environment.
- Master’s degree in Art History and/or curatorial studies with a specialization in international contemporary art or equivalent applicable experience or training. PhD in Art History or a related discipline is a plus.
- Selected candidates must pass a criminal history background check.
- Position requires employee to file a Statement of Economic Interests form annually.
- Please submit three (3) references. Provide full name, phone number, and email address.
- Professional references are preferred. Other reference types will also receive consideration. References should be able to attest to your knowledge, skills, and abilities, especially qualifications relevant to the position for which you are applying.
- This position will remain open until filled. However, interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply by May 15, 2021.
- Please contact the HR office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance. VMFA is an EEO/AA and Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Certified Employer.